Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Memories: A Tribute to My Grandfather

Last week I visited my grandfather’s grave for the first time since he died three-and-a-half years ago. Most of my writing is fairly impersonal, but he meant enough to me that I feel I should try to put my feelings into writing. He was my father’s step-father, but he was most certainly my grandfather. He was a big, tall man, who would probably have been a rather imposing figure to those who didn’t know him. But he was a loving, kind man who I believe would do anything to protect the ones he loved. He was fiercely devoted to those things that he deemed deserving, namely his family, his country, and his golf game. He served in non-combat status during the Korean War because he couldn’t stand the idea of taking another’s life. I was always impressed by this fact, because, despite this belief, he felt obligated to serve his country regardless.

I always knew my grandfather as Lee, but that was his middle name. His full name was Robert E. Lee, and in many ways that I described earlier I think that he lived up to his namesake. I have always said and still maintain that the greatest tragedy of American history is that Robert E. Lee was born in Virginia. By all accounts he was an honorable, brilliant, and caring man, who fought for his state and its well-being over what he saw as a massively expanding federal government; he never fought for slavery, and institution which he detested. Despite your feelings on the subject, I think we all have to agree that Lee’s legacy is integral to our country’s history. He fought for what he believed in, and I believe that deserves respect and admiration. My grandfather’s legacy is no less important to my own life and history.

I never realized this until about a year after he died, but my grandfather deserves a great amount of credit for the passion and drive for live I now possess. When I was about twelve I came out to visit my grandparents over spring break. During one of our many discussions, what I wanted for myself in the future came up. At the time I think I wanted to be a lawyer. My grandfather wasn’t displeased by this, but he just threw in a quip that someone as talented as myself should find a way to serve his country. I took this to heart, even if I didn’t know it at the time. I became very interested in the military and politics. For a long while, I wanted to attend one of the military academies. Even though this didn’t work out, I do still hold political aspirations. If I’m ever elected, my grandfather will certainly be one of the first people I thank.

This world could use more people like my grandfather; I could certainly do to be more like him myself. Despite countless hardships in his personal life, including the early death of his first wife and problems with his children, I believe he died a happy man. For the last twenty years of his life he traveled the world and was happier than he ever had been. I guess the moral of this story, if this is indeed more than a tribute to a man I loved dearly, is twofold. First, never take your life and those around you for granted. Second, make the most out your time here on Earth; change a life!
-jw

No comments:

Post a Comment